06 April 2014

Green (or Purple) Smoothie Recipe

Sorry for the cruddy picture, forgot to take one while making it.

We have been enjoying a green smoothie every day for the past three days, per an idea from the Peanut Butter Runner. She’s already done a 7-Day challenge and is doing a 30-Day challenge now. I got the basic idea from her blog and decided to add to it. I have already felt a difference in my digestion and bloating. I feel much less bloated and swollen. I’m more regular and don’t have a stomach ache. I feel full much longer and energized. I definitely want to keep doing this every day (or at least every other day).

I have had a few people inquire about my recipe for a smoothie, so here it is:

Green Smoothie (1 - 1 ½ servings):

1 C loose fresh spinach
1 C vanilla almond milk (or any kind of non-dairy milk product)
½ large banana (frozen gives a better consistency)
4-5 strawberries (fresh or frozen)
1 T chia seeds
1 T Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
1 T PB2 (optional)
1 T local honey (to combat allergies)(optional)
4-5 ice cubes

Blend until smooth, consume immediately. 

PB2 is a lower fat alternative to peanut butter. It is delicious and adds just a little bit of that peanut flavor to the smoothies. This delicious smoothie is great for a quick pick-me-up in the morning. I highly recommend it! The chia seeds help me feel full longer so I’m not over-eating later. I usually change it around and add some other berries (frozen or fresh) and occasionally leave out the yogurt; it really depends on how I’m feeling. Sometimes I will use kale instead of spinach. Both are delicious – I just find that the kale overpowers the taste more than spinach does. I generally don’t add any berries -- but this time I added a handful of a berry medley of blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries -- which turned my green smoothie into a purple smoothie! 


I’m going to go back to enjoying my smoothie! I'm going to try to continue this healthy living! Mar loves these smoothies, by the way! Feel free to change the recipe around (keeping the greens, ice, milk, chia seeds, honey) according to your preferences or allergies.

Enjoy!! J

No comments:

Post a Comment